BAPTISM for children who have not yet reached the age of seven, is celebrated at the 10 am Sunday Mass, generally on the third Sunday of the month.
Parents should began planning for the baptism of their child at least 3 months before the desired baptism month, ideally while pregnant. Parents requesting Baptism at Saint Vincent de Paul Church should be registered parishioners or residents of Huntington Beach living within the parish boundaries. Parents of all children who will be baptized at Saint Vincent de Paul must attend preparation sessions at the parish. The date for Baptism will be set after completion of the preparation sessions for the parents and godparents.
GODPARENTS must be actively practicing the Catholic faith and be able to support the parents in raising their godchild in the faith. Godparents will attend a preparation session here at Saint Vincent de Paul Church or at their home parish. Additional requirements for godparents are:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have received the Sacraments of Baptism, First Eucharist and Confirmation
- If married, must have been married through the Catholic Church
- At least one godparent must be Catholic. A second baptized Christian (not a former Catholic) may serve as a Witness attesting to the fact that the baptized person did receive the Sacrament to Baptism.
- If their are two godparents, one must be male and one female (only one godparent is required)
- Godparents cannot be a parent of the child being baptized
- Godparents cannot be cohabiting (living together without marriage)
Parents will attend two preparation sessions held on Friday evening and Wednesday evening from 7 pm to 8:30 pm. Their child’s godparents will attend the Wednesday evening session only. Parents can register online here: Infant Baptism Registration or in the Parish Office.
Saint Vincent de Paul Parishioners (those who are registered in the Parish database or who live within the parish boundaries) who will be godparents for a baptism at a church other than SVDP may register for Baptism Preparation Sessions here: Godparent Registration Form or in the Parish Office.