BAPTISM for children who have not yet reached the age of seven, is celebrated at the 10 am Sunday Mass.
Parents should began planning for the baptism of their child at least 3 months before the desired baptism month, ideally while pregnant. Parents requesting Baptism at Saint Vincent de Paul Church should be registered parishioners or residents of the Huntington Beach area living within the parish boundaries. Parents of all children who will be baptized at Saint Vincent de Paul must attend preparation sessions at the parish. The date for Baptism will be set after completion of the preparation sessions for the parents and godparents.
GODPARENTS: Insofar as possible, a person to be baptized is to be given a sponsor [godparent] who, together with the parents presents, an infant for baptism. A sponsor also helps the baptized person to lead a Christian life in harmony with baptism and to fulfill faithfully the obligations connected with it. (Can. 872)
The Sacrament of Baptism may be celebrated for the child without a sponsor/godparent.
If there are godparents they will attend a preparation session here at Saint Vincent de Paul Church or at their home parish. Additional requirements for godparents are:
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Be a Catholic who has been confirmed (Sacrament of Confirmation) and has already received the Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life in harmony with the faith and the role to be undertaken (Can. 874.3)
- If there are godparents at least one godparent must be Catholic. A second baptized Christian (not a former Catholic) may serve as a Witness attesting to the fact that the baptized person did receive the Sacrament to Baptism.
- If there are two godparents, one must be male and one female.
- Godparents cannot be a parent of the child being baptized.
Parents will attend two preparation sessions held on Friday evening and Wednesday evening from 7 pm to 8:30 pm. Their child’s godparents will attend the Wednesday evening session only. Parents can register online here: Infant Baptism Registration or in the Parish Office.
Saint Vincent de Paul Parishioners (those who are registered in the Parish database or who live within the parish boundaries) who will be godparents for a baptism at a church other than SVDP may register for Baptism Preparation Sessions here: Godparent Registration Form or in the Parish Office.
For additional questions about Infant Baptism in English, please contact Mary Kay Lamarre, 714.842.3000 x123.